Norfolk Wrap

by Darrell Allen.

With contributions from John Barrett, Charnelle Riggall, and Stuart Terry (12/5/22).

Above: Wymondham Town celebrate after their League Cup success over Wroxham. They also received their league trophy after the game. Photo: Wymondham Town.

The big game of the weekend in Norfolk was the Eastern Region League Cup Final between two-tier five clubs and big local rivals Wroxham and Wymondham Town.

It was a closely contested encounter played on neutral ground in Suffolk at The New Croft, home of Haverhill Rovers. 

Wymondham Town took the lead in the ninth minute when Hannah Waters finished beyond Cyan Fullbrook after a great ball through from Becca Russell.

The Wroxham defence stood firm to prevent any further first half danger and the team ended the first half stronger as Wymondham goalkeeper Chloe Pearce had to superbly deny attempts from Lauren Bullard and Grace Birchall.

Wroxham were the better side throughout the second half but the Wymondham defence played very well all afternoon and they secured the game when Chelsea Clarke scored a trademark free kick just as the clock struck 90 minutes.

There was a lengthy period of added time due to injuries for both teams and Lauren Bullard got a consolation for Wroxham in the 11th minute of added on time but it was not enough to prevent Wymondham winning the trophy and making it a double having previously been crowned ERWFL Premier Division Champions.

This was the final game in charge for outgoing boss Rebecca Burton and Wroxham’s season is now complete. Wymondham Town will be hoping to make it a treble when they face Mulbarton Belles at Carrow Road on Wednesday 25th May in the Norfolk Women’s Cup Final.

In the Norfolk Women and Girls League Division One, Sunday saw two games as Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers continued to hunt down second-placed Fakenham Town with another emphatic victory over Stalham Town. Eight goals with four in each half saw Dussindale claim another vital three points. A brace each from Victoria Leyer, Shanice Sutton, and Georgia Belton and other goals from Tallulah Bell and Charlie Head secured the points in terrific style. Dussindale require four points from their final two games of the season against Thetford Town and North Walsham to leapfrog Fakenham Town.

Above: Rachel Lynch, one of Thetford Town’s scorers against Bungay Town. Photo: Rebecca Parnell.

In arguably the game of the day in the local leagues, Bungay Town welcomed in form Thetford Town to Maltings Meadow in a game that the hosts had to win to stand any chance of finishing fourth. Equally, Thetford just needed a point to secure that placing for themselves. Thetford came into the game with a squad of just 11 players and a makeshift lineup and without six first team regulars.

Bungay Town started brightest and took the after hitting a wonderful strike on the half turn into the top corner.

The game was held up for around 25 minutes due to an injury to home striker Lucy Eagle who was taken to hospital by ambulance.

The game restarted with the agreement of both teams on the adjacent pitch at Maltings Meadow.

Thetford came out for the second half fired up and determined to succeed. Rachel Lynch headed home a superb Hannah Claughton corner to level things up. 

Six minutes later, Abbie Corbyn turned the game around and gave Thetford the lead by calmly planting the ball into the back of the net.

The points were secured by the Breckland club when Jessica Knight fed Thetford Player of the match Charlotte Howard to score the third for the visitors and the double over Bungay.

Thetford Town have now secured a fourth place finish, a remarkable achievement in their first season in Division One and they can enjoy their final game away to Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers on Wednesday 18th May knowing they have had a wonderful season.

Table From: FA Full-Time.
Above: Action from Freethorpe’s game against Gorleston. Photo: Gorleston FC.

There was only one game in Norfolk Women and Girls League Division Two as Gorleston completed their season by winning 3-2 at Freethorpe with a squad of just 10 players.

A brilliant finish from Hannah Halfnight gave Gorleston the lead before Freethorpe turned the game around thanks to two headers from set pieces scored by Emma Chambers and Tamara Edwards.

Kelsi Adams equalised for Gorleston with a great finish from inside the area to level things at 2-2.

Ruby Allen suffered a bad knee injury which saw Gorleston go down to nine players for the remainder of the game but there was time for a late winner as Adams made it a brace with an unstoppable finish in the 83rd minute.

Freethorpe had a late goal ruled out for offside after a period of pressure but Gorleston just about held on to finish their season with three points.

Table From: FA Full-Time
Above: Fakenham Town celebrate after seeing off Stalham Town to reach the NWGFL Cup Final. Photo: Fakenham Town.

STOP PRESS! On Wednesday night in the Norfolk Women and Girls League Cup Semi Final, Fakenham Town beat Stalham Town 3-1 to thanks to a brace from Shelley Woods and another from Sophie Lubbock. Megan Swain was on target for Stalham. Fakenham will face Mulbarton Belles in the final this Sunday whilst Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers play Caister also on Sunday in the NWGFL Plate final. Both games are at Aylsham Football Club and both will feature in next week’s round up. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: