Brave Thetford Beaten In Season Finale

Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers 4-0 Thetford Town

By Darrell Allen (21/5/22)

Above: Thetford Town look to defend a corner against Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers. Photo: Hardy Scott.

Thetford Town were beaten in their final Norfolk Women and Girls League Division One game of the season at Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers on Wednesday night. 

Thetford made the 84-mile round trip to the multi-million pound ‘The Nest’ facility just north of Norwich next to the airport. The game took place on the venue’s 3G surface under the floodlights.

Above: A plane over The Nest, which is near to Norwich Airport. Photo: Hardy Scott.

Having secured fourth place in their first season at Step 7 with a 3-1 win at Bungay Town last time out, Thetford travelled with another limited squad of just 12 and knowing they had nothing to lose in this final game.

The game was played with a three-figure crowd with many high-profile people from other Norfolk teams and the County FA in attendance. It was a super tribute to both clubs and to the profile of the Norfolk Women and Girls League.

To the on-pitch action, and lone Thetford striker Rebecca White floated an early free-kick into the box which was comfortably collected by Tyla Cole.

Dussindale began to get into their stride which before this game started had seen them score an incredible 108 goals in 18 games. Shanice Sutton headed their first chance of the game wide before having her next chance saved by Lydia Ward.

Thetford had chances of their own Abbie Corbyn had a cross-shot that was cleared by Maddy Goodenough.

The visitors also made life difficult for their hosts with excellent closing down with Ellie-Mae Davies and captain on the night Dayna Howard particularly influential in ensuring danger was kept to a minimum in the first half period. 

However, despite Thetford’s best efforts, Dussindale took the lead shortly after the half-hour mark when Sutton dispatched a penalty beyond Ward in the Town goal.

Despite a further chance for Sutton, the lead remained singular at the break.

Dussindale utilised their great options from the bench in the second half with Tallulah Bell and Charlie Head coming on to have starring roles.

Above: The battle between Ellie-Mae Davies of Thetford Town (left) and Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers; Shanice Sutton was one of the most prominent features of the match. Photo: Hardy Scott.

In a stop-start second half due to injuries, the game struggled to get any momentum going but a key battle was developing between the influential Sutton for Dussindale and Town defender Ellie-Mae Davies.

Rovers doubled their lead when Bell tapped in Sutton’s cross.

The game’s controversial moment came when the Sutton v Davies battle came to blows in front of the main stand and saw the Dussindale player receive a few knocks in the back before unnecessarily retaliating by pushing Mae-Davies in the face to the floor to be booked by referee Thomas Macleod.

Sutton then missed a penalty by firing it wide of goal. 

A lengthy stoppage time period at the end of the contest saw time for Dussindale to comfortably seal the game. Chelsea Brister finished well beyond Ward before Charlie Head slotted in a fourth.

Dussindale were denied a fifth goal when Lucy Wetherall saw her penalty saved by Lydia Ward.

This was an important three points for Rovers which sees them well on course to finish second. They need just a point from their season finale against struggling North Walsham on Sunday to make sure of the runners-up spot.

For Thetford, this was a game that was just there to be enjoyed on the final day of a brilliant season. Fourth spot was secured prior to this match. Thetford’s great team spirit ensures that Dussindale had to sweat for more than an hour before their second went in. David Skipp and his team will look forward to try and build on these achievements in 2022/2023.

Above: Rebecca White, Thetford Town’s joint player of the match. Photo: Richard Brown.

Thetford Players of the Match: Ellie-Mae Davies and Rebecca White.

Teams: DUSSINDALE AND HELLESDON ROVERS: Cole, Kennett, Humphries, Goodenough, Wetherall, Nobbs, Belton, Tink, Sutton, Hutchin, Brister. Substitutes: Wilson, Head, Kowalczyk, Bell.

Scorers: Sutton, Bell, Brister, Head.

THETFOR TOWN Ward, Klimcke, Davies, Howard, Lynch, Lloyd, Corbyn, Russell, White, Howard, Claughton. Substitute: Musgrove. 

Referee: Thomas Macleod.

Attendance: 112.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: