Norfolk Weekly Wrap

Impetus’ Darrell Allen provides his weekly round-up of all the women’s football action in Norfolk (18/10/22).

Above: Kamile Omeleviciute of Thetford Town who had penalty appeal turned down after her shot looked to have hit the hand of a UEA player in the first half. Photo: Hardy Scott Photos.

Main Match of the Week

University of East Anglia 0-1 Thetford Town

Thetford Town were victorious on the road as they defeated the University of East Anglia (UEA) thanks to a 78th-minute winner from Dayna Howard to progress to the Second Round of the Norfolk Women’s Cup.

The game played between the two teams from the tier seven Norfolk Women and Girls League saw UEA go into the game as favourites following a 100% winning record so far this season with them topping the league in the process. Thetford has had a mixed start to the season with one win, one draw, and one loss after three games.

UEA, roared on by a vocal support of people from across the University complex, started the game brightest with some good early pressure as they looked to continue their positive start to the season and it was only the heroism of Thetford Town defender Rachel Lynch that denied Ella Burnley the chance to open the scoring.

Thetford were denied a penalty a few minutes later when a shot from Kamile Omeleviciute hit raised hands of a UEA player but this was dismissed by referee Matthew Cotton.

In a game that lacked quality, and entertainment, there was very little action of note. UEA had a series of corners next but these were extremely poor and were dealt with comfortably by the visitors

Thetford ended the first half strongest as a throw-in from captain Melissa Boulton found Rebecca White who tried a shot from distance on the turn which was saved by Anoushka Williamson in the UEA goal.

White then had the final chance of the first half in added time when she was through on goal following a beautiful ball from the Thetford Town midfield but she could only slot wide of Williamson’s goal and the scores remained level at the break.

Above: Dayna Howard – Thetford Town’s goalscorer. Photo: Darren Gilham.

The second half followed a similar pattern of no real quality as both teams struggled to entertain on a poor surface at the University of East Anglia.

The play was then stopped for ten minutes when Thetford Towns Sausha Levy-Twomey was taken out following a horrendous challenge. Levy-Twomey required on-pitch attention from the paramedic assigned to the game as well as Thetford Town management David Skipp and Amber Browne.

In a contest that was sometimes feisty and a little nasty, the visitors kept their heads by rising above it and continued to try and play football in the right way.

The decisive moment came when Dayna Howard poked home from a corner in the 78th minute to spark wild scenes of celebration.

The game ended up having over 15 minutes of added time as Thetford Town Assistant Manager Stuart Terry required medical attention after being winded in the closing stages. UEA could only manage one shot between the goal and the final whistle which was comfortably dealt with by Lydia Ward in the Thetford goal.

This was an impressive win for Thetford Town coming away to one of Norfolk’s highest-regarded clubs and winning the game to seal a place in the Second Round of the Norfolk Women’s Cup.

Teams: UNIVERSITY OF EAST ANGLIA: Williamson, Brewer, Lee, Coombs, Goodenough, Powell, Thompson, Fuller, Burnley, Standing, Piejko. Subs: Woods, Appleton, Neale, Long, Stel.

THETFORD TOWN: Ward, Levy-Twomey, Klimcke, Omeleviciute, Lynch, Lloyd, Martins, Howard, Rogers, Boulton, White. Subs: Bambury, Musgrove, Davies, Page, Browne.

Scorer: Howard 78′

Referee: Matthew Cotton.

Attendance: 61.

Norfolk Wrap:

FA Women’s National League Division One South-East:

Above: Scorer of Norwich City’s Second Goal Natasha Snelling.Photo: Norwich City Women FC

Norwich City were beaten for the first time this season losing 3-2 at Chesham United, who gained their first win of the campaign as a consequence. A brace from Gemma Fraser and Emma Davies’ effort saw Chesham take victory. Rebecca Russell and Natasha Snelling were on target for Norwich City.

Eastern Region Premier Division:

Above: Jodie Hopkins (right) scored both of King’s Lynn Town’s goals in their defeat to Needham Market. Photo: Tim Smith.

Wroxham bounced back to winning ways with a thrilling 4-3 success at Colney Heath. Holly Connell scored a brace for the Yachtswomen with their other goals coming from Hannah Waters and Keela Olive. Colney Heath’s goalscorers were Hollie Thornton and a brace from Eliza Telford.

It wasn’t such a good day for King’s Lynn Town who were beaten 6-2 at The Walks by Needham Market. A hat-trick from Eva Hubbard plus goals from Eleanor Catchpole, Molly Hall, and Paige Wakefield saw the Marketwomen take all three points back to Suffolk. Jodie Hopkins scored both of King’s Lynn Town’s goals on the day.

Eastern Region Division One North:

In tier six, Fakenham Town were beaten 5-0 at AFC Dunstable. Gemma Whitchurch scored a hat-trick for the hosts with Mollie Burgess getting a brace.

Norfolk Women’s Cup First Round:

Thetford Town’s trip to the UEA was one of four first-round ties played on Sunday. In an all tier seven affair, Mulbarton Belles won 11-1 at Caister thanks to hat tricks from Rebekah Lake and Ellie Hunter. In addition, there was a brace from Eloise Peek with goals from Lucy Lincoln, Alice Smith, and Mollie Ryan completing the rout. Leah Brown scored for Caister.

Gorleston were 11-0 winners at FC Viking Valkyries in a game that saw Kelsi Adams, Hazel Saddington and Rebecca Waters all get hat-tricks with Sienna Saunders and Joana Patricia da Cunha Teixeira getting the remaining goals. In the day’s final tie, North Walsham Town beat Thorpe St. Andrew 2-0 thanks to goals from Rio Dobbie and Rhiannon Holt.

Norfolk Women and Girls League Division One:

Dussindale and Hellesdon Rovers were 11-0 winners at Stalham Town in a game that saw Shanice Sutton score five goals, Georgina Belton get a brace with the remaining four goals scored by Chelsea Brister,  Siesha Hunphries, Betty Booker, and Phoebe Green. Long Stratton bounced back to winning ways with a 3-1 win at Bungay Town. Luci Middleton, Mary-Ann Hoy, and Emma Allsopp with the goals for Long Stratton with Selina Rowland scoring for the hosts. Sprowston were 2-1 winners at Beccles Town thanks to goals from Anais Winney and Rosie Milligan. Lucy Robbens scored for Beccles Town.

Norfolk Women and Girls League Division Two:

Aylsham continued their flying start to the season with a 10-0 victory against Horsford. Hat tricks from Hannah Claughton and Sophie Lubbock plus goals from Abbie Butcher  Vicky Lubbock, Lana Clark, and Florence Simpkin saw the hosts take a comfortable victory. King’s Lynn Soccer Club were 4-1 winners at Shrublands thanks to goals from Kelsey Ramm, Trinity Tokaji, and a brace from Ellie Panks. Lacey Andrews scored for Shrublands. Bulldogs and Freethorpe shared the points in a 1-1 draw. Lauren Roberts scoring for Bulldogs with Kiera Squires getting the goal for Freethorpe.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: