Welsh Weekend Wrap

Martin Townley rounds up all the weekend’s action in the FAW Women’s Cup Semi-Finals, plus matches in the second tier Adran North and Adran South (21/2/23).

Above: Briton Ferry Llansawel celebrate their superb win over top-tier Aberystwyth Town in the FAW Women’s Cup Semi-Final. Photo: FAW.

Briton Ferry Llansawel made history by reaching their first-ever FAW Welsh Women’s Cup Final.  The second-tier side with a stunning victory over Adran Premier side Aberystwyth Town.  Defending champions Cardiff City will join the Reds in the final after their win over city rivals Cardiff Met. 

In the Adran North, Wrexham continued their winning streak as they hammered Felinheli.  Rosie Hughes grabbed another four goals as her amazing scoring run continues. 

Pontardawe Town have had a big say in where the Adran South title will go after their 4-0 win over Cascade.  Cascade could have gone top with a win but now sit two points of the leaders Briton Ferry, who have two games in hand. 

FAW Welsh Women’s Cup Semi-Finals

Briton Ferry Llansawel 3-0 Aberystwyth Town

with additional reporting from ATWFC Media team.

It was heartbreak for Aberystwyth Town Women as they were knocked out of the FAW Women’s Cup at the semi-final stage by second-tier Briton Ferry Llansawel.

On a chilly day at Carmarthen’s Richmond Park, Gavin Allen’s side struggled to assert themselves and paid the price, falling 3-0.

Goals from Megan Kearle, Lowri Baker, and Fleur Jenkins secured the win for Ferry – while salt was rubbed into the Aber wound when Rebecca Mathias was sent off at the end of the match after receiving two yellow cards for dissent. (Red card was two quick yellows for dissent)

There were some chances for the Seasiders, but they were few and far between – two good efforts from Shauna Chambers, a Libby Isaac free kick, and a shot from Emily Thomas that flew over the bar were the most notable.

There were plaudits too for 17-year-old goalkeeper Carys Pugh-Jones, between the sticks due to Elen Valentine’s absence on international duty with Wales U19s.

There will be no time for Aber to dwell on the lost opportunity to reach their first-ever FAW Women’s Cup final – they are back in Genero Adran Premier action next Sunday (26th February) when they host Pontypridd United in the first match of Phase 2 (kick-off 2pm at Park Avenue).

Above: Young Aberystwyth Town goalkeeper Carys Pugh-Jones reaches to make a save in the semi-final. Photo: Steve Williams Photography.

Briton Ferry Llansawel head to a FAW Welsh Women’s Cup Final for the first time ever after a resounding win at Richmond Park. 

Aber tried to make it difficult for Ferry but Lowri Baker gave the tier two side the lead firing in through a crowd of players in the 19th minute. 

Megan Kearle extended Briton Ferry’s lead eight minutes into the second half.  Laura-May Walkley with a clever piece of play to find Kearle who chipped the ball over the keeper. 

It got better for the Reds as Aber keeper Carys Pugh-Jones only part cleared a cross, Fleur Jenkins first to the loose ball to lift it over the keeper.

With a lead Ferry dropped a little deeper and tried to see out the game.  The Seasiders made a triple change and went on the front foot.  Their last chance was a shot from the edge of the box which forced a good save from Courtney Young.   

Cardiff City 2-0 Cardiff Met

Above: Cardiff City – who made the FAW Women’s Cup Final with victory over cross-city rivals Cardiff Met. Photo: Cardiff City Women.

Cardiff City continue to compete to win the treble as they reached the FAW Welsh Women’s Cup Final.  Cardiff City were unhappy at this game going ahead as they had serval players away with Cymru’s intermediate squads.

Rhianne Oakley gave the Bluebirds the lead after 32 minutes.  Oakley turning in from Seren Watkin’s cross.  Oakley grabbed the second goal just past the hour mark when she put the ball in from close range. 

Cardiff will now look to defend their crown when they face Briton Ferry Llansawel in the final.  

Adran North

Wrexham 8-1 CPDM Y Felinheli

Wrexham won again to return to the top of the Adran North.  They sit two points ahead of Connah’s Quay in second. 

Wrexham hit four goals in the first half thanks to Amber Lightfoot, Sophie Hodson, and two from Rosie Hughes.  Hughes finished off her hat trick shortly after the restart.  Jordanne Greenough got a goal for Felinheli but soon Lightfoot got her second and Hughes got her fourth.  An own goal from Llio Henshaw made it 8-1 to Wrexham.

Wrexham will travel to Connah’s Quay next as the top two go head-to-head for the first time this season.

CPD Y Rhyl 1879 1-2 Llandudno

Early goals from Julia Alcock and Ffion Owen gave Llandudno the lead at halftime.  Laura Williams got one back for Rhyl in the second half, but they could not find a second to level the game. 

Llandudno remain in third place extending their lead over Rhyl to four points.

Adran South

Pontardawe Town 4-0 Cascade YC

Cascade’s title chances took a hit as they missed out on the chance to top the table.  With Briton Ferry in cup action Cascade failed to advantage and slumped to a 4-0 loss. 

Sara Llewellyn, Ella Stafford, Keira Harris, and Renee Day with the goals for Pontardawe as they move four points clear in third spot. 

Cascade trail Ferry by two points but importantly Ferry has two more games to play. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: